Professional fundraiser surety bond cost
The West Virginia Secretary of State requires professional fundraising counsels and solicitors to post $10,000 surety bonds to legally work within the state.These bonds are subject to underwriting, so the amount you’ll pay depends on a review of your personal credit report. Applicants with stellar financial credentials could pay as low as $100 for their bond!
Why this bond
West Virginia professional fundraiser bonds are put in place to ensure that principals (solicitors) comply with all terms stated in Chapter 29, Article 19 of the West Virginia Code. Unethical acts covered by this bond include:
- exploiting the fact of registration to lead the public to believe that such registration constitutes an endorsement or approval by the Commonwealth
- leading people to believe that money and funds are collected for charitable purposes when they indeed are not
using a charity’s name without written consent to do so
- making representations that solicit contributions on behalf of a charitable or civic organization without first being authorized to do so by the charity
- receiving a contribution greater than $5 in cash without a written receipt acknowledging such contribution
Specifically, the bond protects the state and individuals from financial loss if the principal fails to act ethically and lawfully while on the job.West Virginia professional solicitor surety bonds remain in full force and effect until the terms of the bond are violated by the principal or the surety cancels the bond.
Become a professional fundraiser
To become a registered professional fundraiser or fundraising counsel in West Virginia, applicants must do the following:
- submit a completed, signed and notarized application packet
- pay the $100 registration fee
- file a $10,000 surety bond
- file every written contract or agreement between the applicant and charitable organizations with the Secretary of State within 10 days of entering into the contract
- and more
Begin the licensing process by purchasing the surety bond you need. Our experts make the bonding process fast and easy so that you can focus on what you do best: running your business.
Apply for your surety bond
Get a FREE Professional Solicitor’s Bond Professional Solicitor’s Bond Quote Today! Click here to begin