Fish dealer’s bond cost
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife requires wholesale fish dealers to post surety bonds. The required bond amount depends on the number of buyers the dealer conducts business with. The amount of bond coverage increases $1,000 per every buyer and cannot be less than $2,000 or greater than $50,000.These bonds are subject to underwriting, so the price you’ll pay depends not only on your required bond amount but also on a review of your personal credit report.
Contact one of our surety specialists to receive a free, personalized bond quote within 1 business day of applying. Call 888.610.4474, or click here, to begin the bonding process.
Why this bond
Washington fish dealer performance bonds ensure that principals (wholesale fish dealers) adhere to the provisions of Chapter 77.65 of the Revised Code of Washington and all rules set by the Director of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife relating to the payment of fines for violations of rules for the accounting of the commercial harvest of food fish or shellfish.
If the principal violates any of the provisions of the code or the bond agreement and consumers are harmed, the surety will cover damages up to the full penal sum of the bond. The principal must reimburse the surety for all damages paid out.
Fish dealer performance bond details
Fish dealer bonds in Washington remain in full force and effect throughout the term of the principal’s wholesale fish dealer’s license and 45 days thereafter or until the surety cancels the bond. To cancel the bond, the surety must provide written notice of cancellation to the department at least 45 days prior to the effective date of cancellation.The dealer’s name, company name and phone number must be listed on the bond form.
Become a fish dealer
Wholesale fish dealers and fish buyers must be licensed to work in Washington. Licenses expire annually on December 31 of the year of issuance.A wholesale fish dealer’s license is required for:
- a business in the state that engages in the commercial processing of food fish or shellfish, including custom canning or processing of personal use food fish or shellfish
- a business in the state that engages in the wholesale selling, buying or brokering of food fish or shellfish
fishermen who land and sell their catch or harvest to anyone other than a licensed wholesale dealer within or outside the state
- a business that engages in the commercial manufacture or preparation of fertilizer, oil, meal, caviar, fish bait or other by-products from food fish or shellfish
- a business that employs a fish buyer
A fish buyer’s license is required for:
- each individual engaged by a wholesale fish dealer as a fish buyer
- any person who purchases food fish or shellfish on behalf of the license wholesale dealer
Take the first step toward becoming licensed in Washington by purchasing the surety bond you need!
Apply for your surety bond
Get a FREE Washington fish dealer performance bond Quote Today! Click here to begin