Registration service bond cost
The California Department of Motor Vehicles requires anyone who approves vehicle registration ownership, renews vehicle registration or transfers vehicle ownership to post $25,000 surety bonds.
These bonds are subject to underwriting consideration, so the price you’ll pay depends on a review of your personal credit report. The best way to find out exactly how much you’ll pay for your bond is to request your free bond quote now!
Why this bond
By posting a California registration service bond, principals (registration service agents) pledge to not cause any loss to the public or the state as a result of the principal’s unethical or unlawful business practices. Prohibited actions under this bond include:
- Knowingly or negligently accepting false statements submitted to the registration service
- Permitting or committing fraudulent practices
- Using a false or fictitious name
- Operating with a suspended license
- And more
If the principal violates the terms of the surety contract, the bond protects harmed parties from financial loss up to the full amount of the bond. The principal must reimburse the surety for any damages paid out.
Registration service bond details
Registration service bonds in California remain in full force and effect and run concurrently with the license period. The surety can cancel the bond in accordance with Article 13 (commencing with section 996.310), Chapter 2, Title 14, Part 2 of the Code of Civil Procedure.
Become a registration service
To become a legally-operating registration service in California, applicants must complete and submit a licensing packet to the Department of Motor Vehicles. A completed licensure packet includes:
- Application for occupational license for registration service
- Surety bond
- Copy of valid driver’s license or ID
- Verifiable social security number
- Property use verification for registration service
- Request for live scan service (fingerprints)
- And more
A full list of licensing requirements can be accessed via the Additional information section of this page.Take the first step toward becoming licensed in California by purchasing the surety bond you need quickly and easily!
Apply for your surety bond
Get a FREE Registration Service Bond Quote Today! Click here to begin
- California Department of Motor Vehicles Surety Bond OL 605 – Registration Service Bond form
- California Vehicle Code Section 11400-11413
- California Department of Motor Vehicles Registration Service Application Checklist
- California Department of Motor Vehicles Application for Original Occupational License for Registration Service