Mortgage broker bond cost
Surety Bonds offers New York mortgage broker bonds for different costs depending on each applicant’s individual credit report. Even though this bond is subject to underwriting, our experts will work hard to get you the best price possible for your unique credit situation. The bond amount required to be posted must be no lesser or greater than $10,000.
Why this bond
New York mortgage broker bonds assure that if consumers are wronged in the process of a mortgage transaction, they have a safeguard from unprofessional acts of business and can be compensated for financial losses. Unethical acts covered by this bond include, but are not limited to:
- Defrauding or misleading borrowers and lenders
- Obtaining property by fraud or misrepresentation
- Advertising a product at a low price when it is not available for sale in order to entice customers to buy a more expensive product, otherwise known as “bait and switch” advertising
- Collecting or charging any prohibited fees
If the principal (mortgage broker) violates the terms of his or her bond agreement and a consumer is harmed as a result, the surety will pay for all damages up to the full bond amount; however, the principal is responsible for reimbursing the surety for any money it pays out to consumers.
Mortgage broker bond details
New York mortgage broker surety bonds will remain continuous unless otherwise canceled by the surety or the principal. If either party decides to terminate the bond early, a 30-day written notice is required to be submitted and filed with the Department of Financial Services prior to cancellation. Please specify the county of residence and of operation at the time of application.
Become a mortgage broker
It is against the law to conduct business as a mortgage broker without being properly licensed to do so. To obtain a New York mortgage broker license, the applicant must do the following:
- Post a surety bond
- Submit fingerprints and satisfactory background check through NMLS
- Receive a passing score on the nation and state mortgage test
- Furnish proof of financial responsibility, character and general fitness, including a satisfactory credit report
Apply for your surety bond
Get a FREE Mortgage Broker Bond Quote Today! Click here to begin