Professional solicitor bond cost
All persons who conduct business as professional solicitors in New Jersey must post a $20,000 surety bond. The premium an applicant will pay for his or her bond is subject to underwriting, which means that the cost of the bond is dependent on the applicant’s credit report.
Why this bond
Professional fundraiser bonds obligate the principal (solicitor) to conduct honest business, fully comply with the provisions in the Charitable Registration and Investigation Act and compensate consumers for any financial losses they suffer as a result of his or her poor business practices. Violations of this bond include:
- Misrepresenting any soliciting material
- Using symbols, statements or names closely related to another charity
- Failing to comply with the Consumer Fraud Law
- Distributing honorary membership or courtesy cards related to solicitation of funds
Professional solicitor bond details
The Attorney General of New Jersey requires solicitors to be bonded. This bond will remain in full effect unless voided or canceled by the surety. If the surety chooses to cancel this bond, it must mail a written cancellation notice to the Division of Consumer Affairs 60 days prior to the cancellation date.
Become a professional fundraiser
All professional fundraisers must attach the following to their registration application:
- $250 registration fee
- Copies of charitable organization contracts
- $20,000 surety bond
- Solicitor registration forms
Registrations must be renewed annually.
Apply for your surety bond
Get a FREE Professional Solicitor and Fundraiser Bond Quote Today! Click here to begin
- New Jersey Professional Fundraiser Initial Registration/Verification Statement
- New Jersey Professional Fundraiser Renewal Registration/Verification Statement
- New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs: Charitable Registration
- New Jersey Statutes 45:17A-18 (Charitable Registration and Investigation Act)
- New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs