Privately owned driving school bond cost
The Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Correction’s Office of Motor Vehicles requires privately owned driving schools to post $20,000 surety bonds.
These 2-year bonds are subject to underwriting consideration, so the price you’ll pay depends on a review of your personal credit report. Qualified applicants could pay as low as 1% of the bond amount, or just $400 for 2 years of coverage!
Why this bond
Driver training school bonds in Louisiana are put in place to ensure that principals (operators of driver training schools) pay all loss, damages and expenses that occur as a result of the principal’s failure to perform any services agreed upon to a student or a student’s parent if the student is a minor. Specifically, these bonds serve as guarantees that principals will conduct business ethically and lawfully and return all prepaid tuition if the school cannot provide the services it has been contracted for.
Louisiana bonds for privately owned driving schools expire with the business license on December 31 of every other year, so your bond premium could be prorated depending on when you buy it. Our team of surety experts works hard to get you bonded according to your specific needs. These bonds can be continued by certificate biennially in support of any contracts issued for any subsequent years.
The surety can terminate the bond by giving written notice of its intent to cancel to the department and to the principal via U.S. registered mail. Termination becomes effective 30 days after the department and principal receive the notice.
Become a driving school
To be eligible to apply to become a licensed driving school in Louisiana, applicants must:
- be a citizen of the U.S., or be lawfully present in the U.S., and be a resident of Louisiana
- be at least 21 years of age
- hold a valid Louisiana driver’s license
- have earned at least a high school diploma or GED
- possess any required occupational license
- not have been convicted of any felony offenses related to the operation of a driving school or any other business regulated by DPS
- not be a current or previous owner of a driving school whose license has been revoked
- pass a background check
- submit a complete application package
- and more
Take the first step toward becoming licensed in Louisiana by purchasing the surety bond you need!
Apply for your surety bond
Get a FREE Driver Training School Bond Quote Today! Click here to begin