Bail agent bond cost
The California Producer Licensing Bureau requires bail agents to post $1,000 surety bonds. These bonds are freely written, which means there’s no credit check required and all applicants pay the same low rate of just $100. Get bonded instantly when you work with the experts.
Why this bond
California bail agent bonds protect individuals and businesses from unethical and illegal acts performed by bail agents. Under this bond, principals (bail agents) are prohibited from doing the following:
- Bribing a judge
- Operating without a license
- Engaging in fraudulent or deceptive business practices
- Failing to prominently display bail agent license in his/her office
- And more
If the principal breaches the terms of the bond agreement and an individual is harmed as a result, the surety will pay for all damages up to the full bond amount. The principal is required to compensate the surety for all damages paid out.
Bond of bail agent details
Bonds of bail agents in California remain in full force and effect until canceled or upon the acceptance and filing of a new bond, whichever takes place first. The surety can cancel the bond by giving written notice of cancellation to the insurance commissioner. Cancellation becomes effective 30 days after the commissioner receives the notice.
Become a bail agent
Bail agents in California must obtain a license in addition to a surety bond to legally work in the state. The following documents and fees should be included in a completed application packet:
- Application for bail license
- Action notice of appointment
- Forms filing list
- Action notice statement of employing bail agent
- Fingerprint impressions
- And more
Individuals must also meet all of the following qualifications to become a bail agent:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Maintain California resident status
- Have completed 20 hours of approved pre-licensing education covering the responsibilities of a bail licensee
- Agree to complete 12 hours of continuing education during each 2-year renewal period
- Have passed an examination administered by the Department of Insurance prior to license approval
- And more
The California Department of Insurance (CDI) sends email notifications to licensees whose licenses are coming up for renewal. Licensees who do not receive an email must renew their license online using the Free Application Online Renewal Service of the CDI. Bail agents must renew their licenses every 2 years.Take the first step toward becoming licensed in California by purchasing your surety bond instantly for just $100 – no credit check required!
Apply for your surety bond
Get a FREE Bond of Bail Agent Quote Today! Click here to begin